A friend of mine recently sent an older copy of this to me via email.
I thought to myself, this is something that deserves to be shared.
So a quick Google search yielded the website link to ACCC Little Black Book of Scams
On this page, you can download the PDF or listen to it.
It covers things related to following:
- The Scammers’ Black List – top 10 scams to avoid.
- Advance fee fraud – If you are asked to provide payments in advance to receive goods or money, think twice.
- Lottery, sweepstakes and competition scams – Don’t be lured by a surprise win—only the scammer takes home a windfall.
- Dating and romance scams – Don’t let love byte you online.
- Computer hacking – If your computer’s security is compromised, you are too.
- Online shopping, classifieds and auction scams – Scammers love the ease of online shopping too.
- Banking, credit card and online account scams – Keep your financial details secure and your money safe.
- Small business scams – Scammers take advantage of the busy nature of many small businesses to swindle them.
- Job and employment scams – Big income guaranteed? Unlikely!
- Golden opportunity and gambling scams – ‘Risk-free investment’ opportunity or opportunity for misfortune?
- Charity and medical scams – Charitable and health conscious consumers beware, scammers will try anything to get your money.
- Scam delivery methods.
- The scammers’ tool box.
- Beware the personal touch.
- The Golden Rules – top 10 tips to protect yourself.
The ACCC Little Black Book of Scams is a very worthwhile read.
Don’t think that you are immune. Even the best of us can get caught out as the scams and fraud evolve and become very professional and easier to fall for.